Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Arduino Smart Watch

This blog will catalog the work I am doing to create an Arduino-based Smart Watch. See the below video for an introduction on the concept.

 
 
I submitted the project to the Atmel Simply AVR Contest. See Below:
 
I have modified the project to use the EA DOG 120 LCD display instead of the oLed for now. For one, it is super easy to use, very thin, and has pins that fit a breadboard. It is very low power and always on as opposed to the oLed that I want to leave off. I am working on an oLed watch too because I happen to love the look of the 1.3" oLed display.
 
For the project, in order to make this so the average hobbyist could construct it, I have decided to use the GY-80 IMU as the sensor platform. It has the BMP085 Pressure/Temperature sensor, and accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer in a very small form factor. It also has an on board 3.3V regulator. By using this board, I will cut out having to solder a bunch of very small components and save a lot of board space in the process. I had the pc boards made and they are on their way. I will update when I have assembled the first prototype.